Nowadays social media is a part of our daily life, from work to entertainment to keeping up with old friends or checking out a business we do it all via social media. The problem is, it's too easy to forget our manners, hop online and start venting to our friends, contacts or people we don't know. There are a lot of bad habits people have picked up and I am here to tell you that even though it's social media there is still etiquette and proper behavior. During the month of December 2016, I posted one tip a day to my Strawberry Social business page. If you didn't catch them there, here they are again!
1. Be authentic online and off. Be yourself, show your personality.
2. Don't over post the same post. You can post in several different places but not all at the same time.
3. Don't send mass group messages. Unless, it's for a Mastermind or something to where everyone is ok with it.
4. Don't be overly negative on social media.
5. Do share uplifting, valuable, engaging and relevant content.
6. Don't ever say anything online that you will later regret.
7. Ignore negative posts and don't get sucked in.
8. Respond politely to all negative feedback and reviews you get. It's all in how you handle it.
9. Don't post anything distasteful that will reflect poorly on your business.
10. Don't vent your personal issues on social media.
11. Be consistent in your voice throughout all social media.
12. Don't tag unflattering pictures of others. It is best to ask them if you can post or cut them out.
13. Don't overshare posts from others onto your page. It's great to share just don't share too many in a row.
14. Don't automatically add people to your group after becoming a friend or connection. Ask if they would like to be added.
15. Always think before you hit send!
16. Don't join every group, join only those you find value in.
17. Don't do too many status updates. 3-4 per day is good.
18. Don't post anything negative about an employer.
19. Don't act desperate on social media, this is a huge turn off to most people.
20. Don't post about other people's personal lives or struggles.
21. Always proof read and spell check posts!
22. Don't use too many hashtags. This can appear spammy. 3-4 at most.
23. Don't be vague on social media. If you don't want to share something don't share it but leaving people to guess and then not sharing is very annoying.
24. Don't react too quickly to anything. Think before you react.
25. Respect group rules on all social media platforms.
26. Don't post too many times back to back.
27. Respect people's time when IM or DM. Don't expect an immediate response.
28. Don't be pushy with sales online.
29. Never be a bully, troll or harass anyone online.
30. Don't post too much info (TMI). No one wants to know you have toenail fungus!
So there you have it! My 30 social media etiquette tips. If you have any more that I didn't include then I would be happy to hear them!